Preceptor agencies require students to comply with a variety of health and training requirements prior to the start of an internship. We have listed several common resources here for your convenience. Students should carefully review the following guidelines as they begin preparing for an internship.
There may be additional Compliance Requirements. All of these may not be required by your agency, or additional requirements may be needed. Check with your internship program coordinator.
- Immunization requirements: Tdap, MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella.
- Additional immunizations may be required based on agency: 2 Step TB Test (blood test preferred), and Flu Shot.
- Hepatitis B options: Engerix-B or Recombivax HB 3-dose series (at 0, 1 month and 6 months); Heplisav-B 2-dose series at least 4 weeks apart; or HepA-HepB 3-dose series; or titer for Hepatitis B; or formal declination of Hepatitis B.
- Hepatitis B Declination form. If you choose to decline this immunization requirement, please sign the form and send it in with your other compliance records.
- Vericella options: Titer (blood test one time - cost more), or 2 vaccines a month apart.
PHS policy requires students participating in internship activities and who are required to complete a Criminal Background Check and/or drug testing screen to use only the university-approved vendors listed here.
- If you are in international student who has lived in the US for less than 6 years, you will need to pay an additional fee to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate. Please contact your consulate to get instructions on the process and fees. Note, this process should be initiated at least 3 months prior to your internship.
Students interning in the fall or spring at Novant Health, Carolinas HealthCare System, and CaraMont are required to have an annual flu vaccination. Flu shots are available starting in September of each year.
CPR Certification: Available through American Red Cross or Innovative Solutions in HealthCare Education for Health Care Provider CPR training. Or you may find another agency who administers CPR training to obtain CPR certification.
*Students, please note that in complying with these requirements you may incur student out-of-pocket costs ranging from $60-$150 depending on the agency-specific requirements.
Students completing their Internship with Novant Health will need to complete additional requirements.
- Students will need to complete the Student Consent for Access to Education Records form which will need to be turned into the Registrar's Office (contact information on form) and Ashley Lopez (email@example.com).
- Students will need to visit Novant's website for additional information regarding internships at Novant. Required Novant documents are to be submitted to Julie Ann Howell, Administrative Support Specialist, in CHHS 335.
For addtional questions, please email Ashley Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org.