Dr. Rajib Paul is an associate professor of Biostatistics in the Department of Public Health Sciences and affiliate faculty of the School of Data Science at the University of North Carolina Charlotte.
Dr. Paul has a broad spectrum of research interests. His areas of expertise include Bayesian methods, big data analysis, spatial and spatio-temporal statistics, stochastic computation (Markov Chain Monte Carlo algorithms), and the applications of statistics to environmental, epidemiological (public and community health), and health policy-related problems. After graduating from the Ohio State University with a Ph.D. degree in Statistics, he joined Western Michigan University (WMU) as a faculty in the Department of Statistics. He was an Associate Director and one of the founding members of the Health Data Research Analysis and Mapping (HDReAM) Center at the WMU. He has research experience in health disparities, environmental health, population health, and social and infectious disease epidemiology. His research focuses on identifying socioeconomic and geographic disparities in health outcomes and health service utilization.
Dr. Paul worked on research projects funded by the National Science Foundation, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, DHHS Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan.
- March 2021: Dr. Paul and Dr. Arif’s article on Covid-19 has been awarded the “Article of the Year” by the Editorial Board of the Journal of Rural Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361905/
- January 2021: Dr. Arif and Dr. Paul are co-editing a special issue on Chronic Disease Epidemiology in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijerph/special_issues/Chronic_Disease_Epidemiology
- January 2021: Dr. Jean-Claude Thill and Dr. Paul’s podcast on Visualizing the COVID-19 Pandemic through Data Science: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1069000/7243306
- August 2020: Dr. Paul’s (with Dr. Jean-Claude Thill and Dr. Shi Chen) work on Visualizing COVID-19 Pandemic: https://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2020-08-07/visualizing-covid-19-pandemic
- July 2020: Dr. Paul and Dr. Arif’s study highlights disparities in COVID-19 in urban and rural areas https://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2020-07-27/study-highlights-disparities-covid-19-urban-and-rural-areas
- Hendricks, B., Paul, R., Smith, C., Wen, S., Kimble, W., Amjad, A., Atkins, A., and Hodder, S. (2021), Coronavirus Testing Disparities Associated with Community Level Deprivation, Racial Inequalities, and Food Insecurity in West Virginia, accepted for Annals of Epidemiology.
- Revens, K.E., Gutierrez, D., Paul, R., Reynolds, A., Price, R., and DeHaven, M. J. (2021) Social Support and Religiosity as Contributing Factors to Resilience and Mental Wellbeing in Latino Immigrants: A Community-Based Participatory Research Study. J Immigrant Minority Health. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-021-01179-7
- Paul, R., Arif, A., Pokhrel, K.*, & Ghosh, S.* (2021). The association of social determinants of health with COVID‐19 mortality in rural and urban counties. The Journal of Rural Health. https://doi.org/10.1111/jrh.12557
- Owusu, C.*, Silverman, G. S., Vinson, D. S., Paul, R., Baker, K. M., & Delmelle, E. M. (2021). Predicting coliform presence in private wells as a function of well characteristics, parcel size and leachfield soil rating. Science of The Total Environment, 143701. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.143701
- Paul, R., Arif, A. A., Adeyemi, O.*, Ghosh, S.*, & Han, D. (2020). Progression of COVID‐19 from urban to rural areas in the United States: a spatiotemporal analysis of prevalence rates. The Journal of Rural Health, 36(4), 591-601. https://doi.org/10.1111/jrh.12486
- Miller, T. A.*, Paul, R., Forthofer, M., & Wurdeman, S. R. (2020). The Role of Earlier Receipt of a Lower Limb Prosthesis on Emergency Department Utilization., The journal of physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmrj.12504
- Owusu, C.*, Silverman, G. S., Vinson, D. S., Bobyarchick, A., Paul, R., & Delmelle, E. (2020). A spatial autologistic model to predict the presence of arsenic in private wells across Gaston County, North Carolina using geology, well depth, and pH. Exposure and Health, 1-12. doi: 10.1007/s12403-020-00373-6
- Kennedy, S. C., Mennicke, A., & Paul, R. (2020). Childhood Polyvictimization and Mental Health Issues among Incarcerated Women. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, 1-18.
- Desjardins, M. R.*, Eastin, M. D., Paul, R., Casas, I., & Delmelle, E. M. (2020). Space–Time Conditional Autoregressive Modeling to Estimate Neighborhood-Level Risks for Dengue Fever in Cali, Colombia. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, 103(5), 2040-2053.
- Hudak, K. M.*, Paul, R., Gholizadeh, S*., Zadrozny, W., & Racine, E. F. (2020). Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) authorization of discount variety stores: leveraging the private sector to modestly increase availability of healthy foods. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 111(6), 1278-1285.
- Miller, T. A.*, Paul, R., Forthofer, M., & Wurdeman, S. R. (2020). Impact of time to receipt of prosthesis on total healthcare costs 12 Months Postamputation. American journal of physical medicine & rehabilitation, 99(11), 1026.
- Arif, A. A., Paul, R., Delmelle, E., Owusu, C., & Adeyemi, O. (2020). Estimating the prevalence and spatial clusters of coal workers' pneumoconiosis cases using medicare claims data, 2011‐2014. American journal of industrial medicine, 63(6), 478-483.
- Platonova, E. A., Warren-Findlow, J., & Paul, R. (2020). The Relationship between Patient-Centered Medical Home Characteristics and Patient Dissatisfaction at a Federally Qualified Health Center. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 31(3), 1364-1378.
- Jelsema*, C. M., Paul, R., & McKean, J. W. (2020): Robust Estimation of Reduced Rank Models to Large Spatial Datasets, REVSTAT–Statistical Journal, 18(2), 203-221.
- MacQuillan, E.*, Curtis, A., Baker, K., & Paul, R. (2019). Geospatial Analysis of Birth Records to Target Programming for Mothers With Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Michigan, 2013. Public Health Reports, 134(1), 27-35.
- Owusu, C.*, Baker, K. M., Paul, R., & Curtis, A. B. (2018). Modelling individual vulnerability to sexually transmitted infections to optimise intervention strategies: analysis of surveillance data from Kalamazoo County, Michigan, USA. Sex Transm Infect, sextrans-2017.
- Paul, R., Lim, C. Y., Curtis, A. B., Maiti, T., Baker, K. M., Mantilla, L. B.*, & MacQuillan, E. L.* (2018). Assessing the association of diabetes self-management education centers with age-adjusted diabetes rates across US: Aspatial cluster analysis approach. Spatial and spatio-temporal epidemiology, 24, 53-62.
- Herbei, R.., Paul, R., & Berliner, L. M. (2017). Applying diffusion-based Markov chain Monte Carlo. PloS one, 12(3), e0173453.
- MacQuillan, E. L.*, Curtis, A. B., Baker, K. M., Paul, R., & Back, Y. O. (2017). Using GIS mapping to target public health interventions: examining birth outcomes across GIS techniques. Journal of community health, 42(4), 633-638.
- Kothari, C. L., Paul, R., Dormitorio, B., Ospina, F., James, A., Lenz, D., ... & Wiley, J. (2016). The interplay of race, socioeconomic status and neighborhood residence upon birth outcomes in a high black infant mortality community. SSM-population health, 2, 859-867.
- Day, A., Curtis, A., Paul, R., Allotey, P. A., & Crosby, S. (2016). Timely health service utilization of older foster youth by insurance type. Journal of Adolescent Health, 58(1), 17-23.
- Jelsema, C.*, & Paul, R. (2013). Spatial mixed effects model for compositional data with applications to coal geology. International journal of coal geology, 114, 33-43.
- Shoemaker, M. J.*, Curtis, A. B., Paul, R., Dickinson, M. G., Polso, A., & Sinha, K. (2013), Longitudinal daily activity patterns in individuals with chronic heart failure: derivation and association with prognosis and clinical characteristics, Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal, 24:4, pp. 25–33.
- Curtis, A. B., Kothari*, C., Paul, R., & Connors, E (2013), Using GIS and Secondary Data to Target Diabetes-Related Public Health Efforts. Journal of Public Health Reports, 128:3, pp. 212–220.
- Shoemaker, M. J.*, Curtis, A. B., Vangsnes, E., Dickinson, M. G., & Paul, R. (2012) Analysis of daily activity data from implanted devices: relationship to mortality/life expectancy and the anchor-based minimum clinically important difference. The World Journal of Cardiovascular Diseases, 3, pp. 129–135.
- Paul, R., MacEachern, S. N., & Berliner, L. M. (2012). Assessing convergence and mixing of MCMC implementations via stratification. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 21(3), 693-712.
- Paul, R. & Cressie, N. (2011), Lognormal Block Kriging for Contaminated Soil, European Journal of Soil Sciences, 62(3), 337–345.
- Craigmile, P. F., Calder, C. A., Li, H., Paul, R., & Cressie, N. (2009). Hierarchical model building, fitting, and checking: a behind-the-scenes look at a Bayesian analysis of arsenic exposure pathways. Bayesian Analysis, 4(1), 1-35. (with Discussion 37–62).
- Santner, T. J., Craigmile, P. F., Calder, C. A., & Paul, R. (2008). Demographic and behavioral modifiers of arsenic exposure pathways: a Bayesian hierarchical analysis of NHEXAS data. Environmental science & technology, 42(15), 5607-5614.
Peer-reviewed Book Chapter
- Paul, R., Jelsema, C. M.*, and Lau, R. (2015) A Flexible Class of Reduced Rank Spatial Models for Large Non-Gaussian Dataset, Peer reviewed book chapter on “Current Trends in Bayesian Methodology with Applications” edited jointly by Satyanshu K. Upadhyay, Umesh Singh, Dipak K. Dey, and Appaia Loganathan, published by Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, pp. 477–502.
- Agarwal, R., Cai, C.*, Gupta, A., Paul, R., & Salih, R.* (2011), BANBAD: A Centralized Anomaly Detection Technique for Ad Hoc Networks, Peer Reviewed Book Chapter, Network, Security, Administration and Management Advancing Technologies and Practices, edited by Dr. Dulal C. Kar and Dr. Mahbubur Rahman Syed, IGI Global.
Peer-reviewed Conference Publication
- Cai, C.*, Gupta, A.*, & Paul, R. (2009) BANBAD – A Centralized Belief-Networks-Based Anomaly Detection Algorithm for MANETs, IEEE GLOBECOM Transactions, 2009.
- Paul, R., Cressie, N., Buxton, B. E., Calder, C. A., Craigmile, P. F., Li, H., McMillan, N. J., Morara, M., Sanford, J., Santner, T. J., & Zhang, J. (2007), A Bayesian Hierarchical Pathways Model of Arsenic Exposure based on NHEXAS data: A comparison of US EPA Region 5 and Arizona, Proceedings of the 2007 Joint Statistical Meetings, 1055–1062 (not peer reviewed).
* Indicates student author