The Minor in Public Health supports students interested in health-related careers or those seeking a health dimension within other career choices. Students in the minor come from biological, social, and behavioral sciences, as well as from health-related academic majors. The minor extends students’ working knowledge of health applications that prepares them to be competitive in the job market and to make advanced degree choices.
Students seeking entry-level positions in health services or non-clinical health agencies and organizations after graduation will find this minor helpful in broadening their understanding of contemporary public health issues. Students in the minor are well positioned for graduate work in specific disciplines like psychology, sociology, social work, public health, health communication, or adult development and aging. The program also provides applied health content and added value to academic degrees of students seeking admission to dental, nursing, medical, pharmacy, physical therapy and other professional schools.
The Minor in Public Health fosters an interdisciplinary perspective of individual and population health. National health priorities in the first decade of the 21st century emphasize interdisciplinary training. As students develop specific healthcare competencies, undergraduate interdisciplinary experiences provide students better flexibility in working across disciplines as well as within their own major.
To declare Minor in Public Health, follow these steps:
- Schedule an advising session with the advising center located in the College of Health and Human Services in room 103. The advising center is open Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM. The advisors are available to meet on a “walk-in” basis on Wednesdays, and on other days by appointment only.
If you are unable to schedule an appointment with the CHHS Advising Center, contact Julie Howell at email@example.com.
- Once you sign up for the minor, contact Dr. Ahmed Arif at firstname.lastname@example.org for all future advising.
- To drop Public Health Minor, contact Julie Howell at email@example.com.
- Please include your 800 number for all communications related to the Public Health Minor program.
- Download the Minor in Public Health Academic Advising Checklist based on the catalog year shown for the Public Health Minor in DegreeWorks. Bring the checklist with you to the advising session.